Welcome to Week 3 of Freezer Cooking Weekly!Â This week we’ll be cooking up some a few things to add to the freezer stash.
I love the convenience of having a freezer full of meals for those busy days.Â However, my schedule right now just doesn’t include time to spend a full day or 2 of nothing but cooking.Â I still want to take advantage of the stock up sales and the abundance of beautiful produce in Alabama right now so I plan to do a modified version of freezer cooking than what I’m used to.
I will choose 1-2 things per week and prepare it to add to my freezer.Â I would love it if any of you joined along!Â If you missed the first week check out Freezer Cooking Weekly: Black Beans or Week 2 Freezer Cooking: Whole Chickens
This week’s Freezer cooking was a little more ambitious than the last couple of weeks, but I really wanted to take advantage of the great deals on peaches & potatoes right now!
I also added Blueberries to my freezer this week because I got a great Deal on them at Whole Foods!Â I ended up separating them into freezer bags and throwing them in the freezer for use in pancakes, waffles, smoothies, etc.Â But..since I didn’t give you the heads up on those I will not go into details on that here.
So, last week I mentioned that we’d be doing Peaches, Potatoes, and Ground Beef.
Here’s the plan:
Freezer Cooking This Week: Ground Beef
- I bought 3 -Â 2 1/2 pounds packs of Ground Beef for this week’s freezer cooking.
- Ground Beef is one of the easiest things to cook for the freezer.Â All you have to do is brown it and season it however you’d like.
- Once it’s done put about 2 cups each into freezer bags.
- That’s it…You’ll then have meat ready for a quick dinner of spaghetti, tacos, etc.
Freezer Cooking This Week: Peaches
- The longest part of this is peeling all those peaches, but I found an easy way to peel peaches here.
- I was going to can some jam or Peach Butter with them, but since this is Freezer Cooking Weekly, I went on a search for a good Peach Freezer Recipe.
- Southern Plate’s Recipe for Peach Freezer Jam fits the bill perfectly – doesn’t that look delicious!
Freezer Cooking This Week: Potatoes
- I picked up 2 of the big bags of potatoes that were on sale for $2.99 this week.
- Peeling potatoes is such a mindless activity, but I find it very relaxing because you can’t really do anything else while you’re doing it.Â Peel the potatoes & slice them into 1/4 inch cubes.
- What you do next depends on which way you want to go with your potatoes.Â I really wanted to try these Freezer Mashed Potatoes, but my 5 yr old can’t have dairy.
- I decided to make these Frozen Hash Browns instead.Â They turned out great & I can’t wait to try them!
That’s a wrap for this week, but here are a few ideas for all that ground beef we just put up:)
Ground Beef Recipes:
Next Week’s Freezer Cooking Head’s Up:
For next week’s Freezer Cooking we’ll need a bag of Sweet Vidalia Onions, Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast(on sale at Winn Dixie), and Bell Peppers (On sale at Publix)